hard starting spider

Hi All,

My '87 Spider is giving me some trouble when starting. When starting the car, it will crank for several seconds without catching. I typically have to turn the key off again and crank again. When it does finally start, I typically have to immediately feather the throttle to keep it running. The car idles roughly for a few seconds but eventually smoothes out. I am concerned that one day it just won't start. After sitting for a week it started right up but did idle roughly for a few seconds. Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Chris
Miami, FL