re: Miata, Spider, ELAN

At 4:17 AM +0000 10/16/02, alfa-digest wrote:
Mazda's are true to their Japanese heritage and that's the only thing wrong
with them.
You mean they're overrated? ;-)

They won't break and they won't let you down.
Except all those early models with the failure-prone crankshafts...Good thing the AC works, though...

I love how Toyota can ship bad head gaskets, Mazda can ship bad cranks, Mitsubishis regularly self-destruct at ~130,000mi, and they can all continue to ride Honda's reputation in this market for building solid cars, just because they come from Japan. God bless America.

Of course, I can't help but think of how my best friend's parents' Honda Civic (clutch AND tranny at 115k, and two power window switch failures in the first 100k) compares to his Milano (tranny at 130k, one power window switch failure in the first 140k).

The real reason I'm writing this, however, is because after all this discussion of the Spider vs. the Miata vs. the Elan, I have to ask why (besides being FWD) didn't the '90s Elan sell well? (I have to admit that I don't know what it cost.) Everyone I've talked to about them says they handle better than any otehr front-driver and are completely trouble-free, electronics included. What's the deal?

Joe Elliott
'82 GTV6