Tie Rods and suspension

Hi,

1) On a 71 GT Junior what is the ideal length of the center rod between the
steering box and idler arm.  I've looked at an old manual I have and they
only give the distance between the tie rod ends at the wheels,

2) Do the central rod fit in the holes at the rear or the front of the
steering box arm/idler arm?  According to the manual  I have it's the rear
but that means the tie-rods to the wheels are at an angle even straight
ahead - at least looks like it.

3) And then on a RHD car the center tie rod catches the  A arm on the
steering box side , i.e. on right turns.  I'm in the process of replacing
the  suspension component and the ball joint (old one) catches on the Arm
knuckle where the bush fits.  I assume that there was enough clearance with
the old bushes for the simple reason that they were collapsed and thus
dropped a bit.  Any suggestion what to do? I did use the machined arm , i.e.
different to the arm that makes up the front of the A arm.

Thanks,
Andries