European delivery

Date: Fri, 11 Oct 2002 12:46:42 -0700
From: George Graves <gmgraves@domain.elided>

>Back in the '50's  and '60's buying a foreign car FOB at the factory
>and driving it all over Europe and then shipping it back was THE thing
>to do. The pages of magazines like Road & Track (which used to be a
>real sports car magazine, by the way) always had several ads from firms
>who would arrange the deal for you. The big attraction was that you
>could pay for the car, pay for shipping, pay your round-trip airfare
>and your lodging and expenses for a two week tour of Europe for about
>the same price as it would cost to buy the same auto Stateside. As I
>recall, the automobile brands most often associated with this scheme
>were Porsche Mercedes Benz and yep, Alfa Romeo. It likely wouldn't work
>these days, however.
>
>George Graves

I just purchased a new BMW 325iT via BMW's European delivery program. This
is all done through the dealer. We ordered through the dealer, picked up in
Munich, drove around Germany and Austria, then dropped off in Hamburg. It's
a full US spec car, just that we picked it up in Munich instead of USA. It
is now on the boat to CA, fortunately the west coast lockout is stopped.
And, we saved about $2k compared to USA delivery. So, such EU deliveries are
available, even now. Porsche has such a program, but they charge about $1k
for the privilege. Saab and Mercedes also have such programs. That would be
a good way for Alfa to reintroduce to the USA if such a happy thing came to
be.

Regards,
Greg