timing belts

Jeepers, we complain about the timing belts on the 12v V6--have you ever looked into what's involved to replace a belt on other cars? Sure, none of them have a fancy dynamic tensioner, but I'm looking into changing a Miata belt for a friend, and you have to remove the valvecover and the crank pulley and all sorts of nonsense. Some general references on timing belt jobs indicate that this is perfectly normal. What's the deal? I've read about Audi timing belts too, and that seemed pretty involved, too. Why can't ALL my friends just drive V6 Alfas? (Actually, the Miata-owning friend in question has decided she wants an Opel GT...hmm.)

Joe Elliott
'82 GTV6
'73 Opel GT