aircraft fittings and brake lines

i've had some off list exchanges that lead me to post this general
information. there seem to be some misconceptions rattling about.

1) AN flares don't need to be double flares. they work fine as single
flares (unlike standard automotive flares, SAE or ISO, which do need to be
double.) there is a nice single flaring tool available from Aircraft Spruce
which i've used making single AN flares for years. it works well in steel
tubing at brake line sizes (3/16") and in aluminum tubing in fuel line
sizes (3/8" moroso tubing is what i've used.)

there are double flaring tools for AN, and they're both expensive and
unnecessary for the application.

2) earl's has an adapter from the metric size used in Alfas to the 3AN size
used when doing brake plumbing in the aircraft system. i don't have the
part number in front of me, and the earl's web site is next to useless, but
the actual adapter i have in my hand looks to be a metric 10x1.0 to 3AN
fitting, in steel.

these adapters thread into caliper bodies and master cylinders, or anywhere
this particular thread shows up (like proportioning valves.) they would
probably thread just fine into the ends of existing hard line. i don't know
that for a fact because i always rip out all the brake line and make up new
ones.

richard