GTV6 CLutch Alignment Tool

In a message dated 10/08/2002 10:02:42 PM Central Daylight Time,
owner-alfa-digest@domain.elided writes:

> Date: Tue, 08 Oct 2002 18:42:11 -0500
> From: Scott Swanberg <sswan60@domain.elided>
> Subject: Re: GTV6 CLutch Alignment Tool
>
> I question if you really need to bother with this tool.  I've done two
> transaxle clutches and both times I just loosened up the unit, centered
> the disk by eye and retightened.  Make sure you mark both halfs so that
> you put them back together the same way because of balancing reasons.
>
> Scott in MN

       I have tried centering clutch disks by "eye."  I can tell you that
stabbing a transmission back into place when the clutch disk is not centered
perfectly is next to impossible.  The clutch tool is only a few dollars, so
buy one.  Or cut the gear off an input shaft of a spare transmission.
       On the transaxle Alfas, the front half of the bellhousing is lighter
than a transmission.  But doing it under the car with the DeDion in the road
does not make it much easier.  I think you were just lucky.
       I have centered clutch disks by feel on other vehicles.  If the edge
of the pressure plate (Borg and Beck or Long style pressure plate) is open,
you can feel around the edges of the pressure plate disk and feel that the
clutch disk is centered.

Ciao,
Russ Neely
Oklahoma City