Re: Alfas in the magazines

GTV-6s aren't really all that toss-able out of the box. But then neither is a Ferrari Lusso, a Maserati Sebring or an Aston Martin DB-4/5/6 (all of which have 'similar' performance envelopes to the GTV-6). These are meant to be grand touring cars designed for the Autostrada the Autoroute and the Autobahn, not for twisty mountain roads. Not that GTV-6s don't or can't handle well in those situations, but with the body lean and heavy, slow-speed steering, they just aren't ideal for such driving. GTV-6s like nice two-lane roads with long sweeping turns and even longer straightaways. I have found that GTV-6 handling depends very much on the tires. Soft sticky tires (like the Yokohama AVS series) with higher inflation rates in the rear than in the front go a long way toward reducing the Alfa's natural tendency to push. But the heavy, relatively slow steering still makes tossing these cars about on the very-twisties a tiring proposition. I've heard that replacing the GTV-6 steering with the power steering gear from the Milano transforms the car. But never having driven one upon which this modification has been effected, I can't say for sure.

George Graves
'86 GTV-6

On Tuesday, October 8, 2002, at 12:36 PM, alfa-digest wrote:

Date: Tue, 08 Oct 2002 10:48:54 -0700
From: Will Owen <nashwill912@domain.elided>
Subject: Alfas in the magazines

Hey, kids -

Just noticed that the Alfetta GT/GTV/GTV6 cars are featured in the
latest issues of two English car magazines, Classic & Sports Car and
Practical Classic. Just looked over the PC article, but I brought the
C&SC home (as I usually do). This is their monthly "Starter Classics"
feature, in which they give a brief history, specs, overview of
strengths and weaknesses, insurance and parts info and so forth, and
then sum it all up with a how-many-marks-out-of-100 score. The Alfa was
awarded 9 out of 10 for driving, everyday practicality, looks, and value
for money, 7 for club support, 6 for parts availability and rust
resistance, 5 for running costs and ease of maintenance, and a miserable
2 for insurance costs. Total was 66 out of 100 - not bad, but 3 points
below both the Citroen 2CV and the Triumph Herald (those nutty Brits, I
tell ya...).

What surprised me was the rather disparaging remarks about the handling,
both from the staff writer and one of the two owners interviewed. Under
"Alternatives," one of the choices was the '81-'87 Ford Capri, of which
the writer said, "Goes and sounds great, and friendlier handling than
the Alfa." I have to admit that my 116 driving experience is limited to
V6 Milanos, which I consider to be damn near flawless in the
chuck-it-about department (and I think a bit of lowering and tightening
would get rid of the "damn near"). Am I just a fool in love here, or are
the GTs less wieldy, or what?

Will Owen
Pasadena, CA