re: axle questions

In AD V8 #1196 Ed Prytherch asked:
> I don't want to have LH thread wheel nuts on my GTV. Is it
>a pain to switch the hubs from my '73 4.56 axle on to my '70 4.10? If it is
>a reasonable job, is there a preferred procedure?

You need to install late-model studs in your 1750 axle.  The hubs can't be
swapped because they're part of the axle (half shaft, if you prefer), and
the axles for 1750 and 2000 cars are not interchangable.  Changing the
studs is easy enough once you have the axle shafts out, but to get to that
point requires removing the brakes, pulling the axle shafts out of the
differential, and sacrificing the old bearing retainer.  A press is nice to
have, too.

Dana Loomis