Re: Offset piston-pins (was: Re: 1750 rebuild

At 7:34 AM 10/6/02, Jim wrote:
>It is my understanding that while increased low end torque may have been a
>result of the 3(?)mm wristpin offset to the exhaust side (some builders claim
>more high end power by installing the pistons with the offset on the intake
>side), Alfa went to the offset wristpins to cure a fairly audible, and
>unacceptable piston slap in the early 1750 engines. Why go thru the expense of
>R&D, retooling and manufacture of new pistons to provide an incremental
>increase in torque when the same thing is much more easily accomplished with
>cam timing?

This is correct--offsetting the pins one way gives quieter operation,
offsetting them the other way reduces friction a bit.

Old Smokey Yunick trick with Chevy stock car motors using stock
pistons--reverse the pistons & get a bit more power due to the reduced
friction.

Greg