164 Advice Sought

Greetings,

I'm sorting out my new 91 164L auto, and am looking for advice since I'm a
newbie at working on cars.  (Now, with two Alfas, I have to get more handy
with a wrench so I can save up for the next one and avoid getting "that look"
when the wife sees the charge bill.)

1.  Headliner.  I used 3M Hi-Strength 90 Spray Adhesive to reattach my sagging
headliner.  It seems to hold well and did not discolor the fabric.  It also
was easy to use, in part because the spray comes out in a line rather than a
circle.  You can adjust the spray so that it comes out in lines of different
length.  3M also makes a headliner spray adhesive which might have been an
even better choice.

2.  Orphan Wire.  I found a wire behind the trim that runs from the side of
the dashboard, above the right/passenger side windows, and ends (without being
connected to anything) at about the right rear dome light.  Is this an antenna
wire?  Do I need to poke around in the trunk to find and re-connect the wire
that runs from the antenna to the orphan wire behind the trim?  I am planning
to replace either the (broken) mast of the power antenna, or the entire
antenna.  Is there any reason that I shouldn't continue to use the existing
wiring that carries the signal from the antenna to the radio?

3.  Metallic Sound.  When the engine is at operating temperature (but not
before) I hear a metallic sound when I let off the gas or am at idle.  It
sounds like a small, heavy, round metal pan is banging around a slightly
larger, heavy, round metal pan.  I suppose it's the water pump, but I thought
a defective pump would make noise regardless of temperature.  I'm going to
replace the timing belt and water pump out of an abundance of caution.  Any
other things I should check out?

4.  Grinding Noise.  I live on a hill that has a few hairpin turns.  On the
right turns, I frequently hear a grinding noise, not a knock.  I thought it
might be the new steering rack settling in, but when I looked in the right
front wheel well I saw part of a pulley had broken through the plastic
shielding protecting the engine.  The plastic valance may be a bit deformed.
Any suggestions on what to do?

5.  Outside Trim.  The rubber strip that runs over the doors seems to be
attached to the car by one or more metal pieces.  Would it be a difficult job
(for a beginner) to replace the metal portion and reattach the rubber?  Will I
need any unusual tools or any parts other than the metal and the plastic
pieces that hold it?

Many thanks,
Dan in Honolulu

This message is intended for the use of the individual or entity to which it
is addressed and may contain information that is privileged, confidential and
exempt from disclosure under applicable law.  If you are not the intended
recipient, any dissemination, distribution or copying of this communication is
strictly prohibited.  If you think you have received this communication in
error, please notify us immediately by reply e-mail or by telephone
(808)521-9200, and delete the original message.  Thank you.