'86 spider starter question

Dear people who own the coolest cars in the history of the world,
I have written in about a grinding starter, the sensors on the bell housing are alright, I noticed the shoulder bolt was missing from the starter.
I got another bolt, pulled the starter and bolted it on from scratch. Now, instead of grinding, when I hit the starter I get something just like a half dead battery. I have dash lights and buzzers, but I hit the switch and it just dies! The battery checked out ok, and the sensors.
I know the fly wheel has to be timed. I guess my question is does the fly wheel have to be in a certain position when you slide the starter on and do up the shoulder bolt?
I have been without my baby for months!!! Please help the bleached blonde (ha ha).
Amanda hughes