Re: MY NICE 164 is simply the coolest

While we're airing laundry, I simply have to say my 164 is an Italian Camry. Turned 90,000 miles 4 days ago, lots of urban cycle (stop, go, stop, idle for a looong time, go, stop again, yuck .. oh AC on the whole time, this is California and I have to remain beautiful)

That car sounds like it has been abused mechanically, and once the PO decided he/she has had enough ... let it go for, probably for a "good deal"
too.

Sorry, no sympathy from me here. I don't know how much you paid for it, and I don't usually question such things but I can give you e-mail addresses and phone numbers of my yuppie friends who bought used BMW 745's,
BMW 750's, M3's and 528i's for a "good deal" and they have the SAME maintenance sticker shock as you did. This is after spending more than $20,000 ... I'll bet you paid no more than half that.

My wife used to be in car sales, and had this story to tell. One day a customer rolled in to trade his Infiniti Q45 with 30,000 miles. It was IMMACULATE in appearance, almost "new in box". Due to its external appearance, the salesguy didn't feel a quick mechanical check was necessary, as he had to make a sale that day. So, the customer got a great deal in trade-in value and happily drove off in his new Audi. Before they put the Q45 in the used-car section, it went in for an oil change and other maintenance items. To the mechanic's horror, the oil was pure sludge. The car had never seen an oil change since new. They gave the car away to an auction house since the dealership had a reputation to upkeep.

Lesson learned; check the car out thoroughly before you buy it. This happens to dealers too. I don't care what car it is.

Sorry to hear of your misfortune. It's not the car.

Nizam
94 164 Camr... uh, 164LS / Super

p/s I spend less than $1K/yr on maintenance including oil changes (Castrol Syntec) but I do all maintenance work myself. $2K/yr is typical ... and it'll still make you grin ear to ear unlike the Japanese Camry's.