V6 oil leaks from cam area

In a message dated 10/2/2002 10:25:11 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
owner-alfa-digest@domain.elided writes:

>    When I take it in to check for freon leaks they show me the serious oil
> leak in the right front region.  Like from somewhere under the timing belt
> covers where you can't see much.  So much oil that I'm 2 quarts low, and
> the
> problem can't be easily (or cheaply) diagnosed.
>
> Question:   Where in the right front would a 164LS leak oil?!?
> The tech's guess was the cam seals.  Ouch.  Expensive.  Any other likely
> places?

I don't think this is seriously unheard of on a V6 w/ 130k++ miles.  I mean,
you're a handsome devil, but you get a haircut once in a while, right?

I had a similar seal weep once on the passenger side of the GTV6 head, but
got it fixed before the actual amount of oil seeping amounted to much.  Your
164 has the car mounted sideways to the engine, so  who knows what is right
and left compared to a straight-ahead V6?

You mention expensive but everything is relative, of course, and Alfa owners
in the USA are famous for being relatively cheap.   So, you need to make some
repairs to the soft parts on a fine car that has already gone further than mos
t "ordinary" marques will ever go before that last ride to the crusher.   How
does that compare to the feeling of driving the Alfa?  How does that compare
to the cost of buying, registering, or insuring a new car, even a Camry?  You
already have the greatest automotive bargain on the US road.  Don't look a
gift horse in the mouth.

Best luck!

Charlie
LA, CA, USA