Re: installing non-Alfa engines in old Alfa Spider pre-1962

Just to throw another log onto the fire....

I wouldn't dare do this to my spider quad, but mabye
on a more "common" 80's spider...

Has anyone given thought to the turbochaged 2L boxer
engine that resides in the current subaru wrx, ect.?
It might be a bit wide for the application, but it is a very
compact design, and would probably allow for the stock hood...
assuming you didn't want to go AWD with it, the engine isn't all
that tall---a tuning chip from the stock model in japan will take it to "rally" specs, which
is 276 HP if I'm not mistaken...
I can't possibly imagine a spider with 270+ HP with a very wide
torque band...of course at that point, you'd probably have to swap
out the rear diff for something that can handle all that torque...
It would be a huge, and expensive, project, but man would it
be fast!