RE: tire balancing

> > that will balance yer wheels *on-the-car*.  this can be wery
effective if ya
> > have a problem balancing issue...
> >

> This is the now recommended way according to Pat Goss on Motorweek.

There are a number of reasons why I'd only do this (on car) balancing as
a last resort:

1) If you rotate the tires, you have to rebalance.
2) If you remove a wheel, you have to be real careful to put it back in
the same orientation.
3) It doesn't work well, or at all, on the driven wheels.

The best tire balancing machine I've seen is one I encountered at J&K
Tires, in Hudson, Mass.

This machine (I think it's a Hunter), can detect the balance of the tire
independently from the balance of the wheel, and can actually determine
the optimal orientation of the tire on the wheel, such that the balance
weights that you end up having to use are minimized.

Ymmv,

bs