engine mounts

Folks,

I'll try to keep this short. How do you know when your mounts are bad? I was
replacing a belt, and had to lift the engine to get it over the waterpump
pulleys. (that was a great suggestion from some list folks!) Folks said the
sag's due to sagging mounts. I looked around the car and found a mount
halfway down the enging on the left inner wheel well, and I'm guessing
there's one on the other side. The one I looked at seems pretty normal
looking. Do I know it's sagging because the the engine is too low in the
front?

Extra credit second question :): my brother, who is the one who got me into
spiders, just had a baby. He's now worried about a rollover and wants a bar.
I know what this will do to the lines of the car, but he is not to be
dissuaded. I want to get him one for his birthday, but it's not exactly a
common item!

Ian karsten.