Date: Tue, 01 Oct 2002 23:08:52 -0400
   From: "Daegrigg (Don)" <daegrigg@domain.elided>
   Subject: Re: 164 S v 164L - another view

   - ----- Original Message -----
   From: "C M Smith" <cmsmith@domain.elided>
   To: <alfa@domain.elided>
   Sent: Tuesday, October 01, 2002 9:45 PM
   Subject: 164 S v 164L

   > Here we go. The S has hotter cams, a revised AMM, a slight difference in
   > the Cat (two pipes in two pipes out whereas the L has two in and one out,
   > but big deal, the S Cat goes into one pipe after that anyway).
   >
   > The L has 16 less horsepower but only 5 lb ft less torque.
   >
   > The biggest difference is that the S was attached to a gearbox with a 10%
   > shorter final drive. The hp gave no advantage and the torque advantage was
   > insignificant compared to the gearbox difference. The L engine is actually
   > very well sorted and the taller gearbox allows the car to be really
   driven.

   > Bottom line: the S wasn't worth the money.
   >
   > Ideally you should put the S engine into an L to get the taller gearbox
   > ratios. Acceleration will be very similar due to the torque figures (the L
   > engine is very efficient so Alfa had a hard time improving it for the so
   > called S or Sport version)
   >
   > Cheers
   >

   > Michael Smith
   > White 1991 164L
   > Original owner
   > --

   A different view.  Yes Mike is correct on the numbers but the S is more than
   the sum of the stats.

   - - Adjustable suspension - Sport/Auto - some like it some don't.  I do but
   will replace my present shocks with non-auto when the time comes ( cost)
   - - Adjustable suspension in just about every respect front and rear - Not
   just for the AX crowd but the tune the car for the road as well.
   - - The clutch hydraulics employ a "damper" to handle spirited shifts at high
   rpm
   - - The more aggressive styling of the S set it apart from the other models in
   a distinctive but tasteful  way
   - - The "song" of the S is Pavarotti compared to something less.

   If you can get an S do.  If you can't the L and LS are fine Alfas.

   Don

   91 S
   86 Graduate
   79 Alfetta