92 spider air plenum: rubber hose becomes loose

       The hose on my 84 race car kept coming loose.  I tie wrapped it in
place for one weekend.  I later used black 3M Weather Strip Adhesive to glue
it in place.
       My problem was at the air flow meter end.  Fred said to replace the
hose, but that did not help.  I finally chucked the air flow meter in a lathe
and cut a couple of small grooves in the neck that the rubber slips over.
       If you do not like the idea of glue, try raising the air cleaner with
some washers underneath.  Also check your motor mounts.  If the engine has
shifted toward the passenger side, the hose will not be long enough.

       I have also had problems with the metal ring inside slipping.  One
time I discovered the problem when the engine would not idle.  The hard
plastic had collapsed and it was sucking air downstream of the air flow
meter.  I just duct taped over the hole to finish that day at the track.

Ciao,
Russ Neely
Oklahoma City