No Alfa Content, was installing non-Alfa engines in old Alfa Spider pre-1962

In a message dated 10/01/2002 10:49:58 PM Central Daylight Time, BrianPal10
writes:

> >> The Ford Pinto 2300 overhead cam four is a good engine that
>> should fit.  Honda?
>

> Russ, I've just lost all respect for you!  A Pinto motor!!!  In an Alfa!!!!
>  And that would be better than Honda???
>
> Just kidding about that respect thing.
>
> Brian

       I was thinking of the Ford engine used in the SCCA FC or Formula
Continental and the S2 classes.  But now that I think about it, those are a
2000 engine.  Did the Pinto come with a 2000?  Got me - who cares?
       I do like my suggestion of a Cummins Turbo Diesel though.  The 275
horse Cummins in my motorhome / tow vehicle is really wonderful.  It pulls a
24 foot enclosed race car trailer just fine.  With the cruse set at 70, it
will drop to maybe 65 on the steeper hills.  The Allison six speed just
shifts, the turbo spools up and the thing goes up hill.  Now THAT would be an
engine to put in a Giulietta!  Plus it gets 9 to 10 MPG while moving
something the size of a house, weighing close to 15 tons at that speed.  Only
problem is it smells like a truck stop when you walk around the back of it.
But it has a chrome tail pipe large enough to put any rice rocket to shame.
       Sorry about the lack of Alfa content.  I do haul only Alfas in my
trailer if it matters.

Ciao,
Russ Neely
Oklahoma City