installing non-Alfa engines in old Alfa Spider pre-1962

       I once stuffed a Chrysler Hemi into an MG TD.  Anything can be done.
Mine was dangerous now that I think back about it.  Today, I would put an
Alfa into the MG.
       The 2000 / 2600 Alfa from the late 1950 to early 1960 period is
physically a much larger car.  There was a 59 2000 with a small block Ford on
eBay a few months ago.  It appeared very nicely done.  It also brought a nice
price - over $10,000 as I recall.  It was almost Cobra like.
       There have been attempts to stuff American V-8 power into various Alfa
chassis.  The Giulietta / Giulia is very small and the narrow Ford 289 / 302
has been stuffed in there.  Not easy and probably not worth it.

       There is no reason an Alfa engine would not be quite reliable.  An
easy swap would be a mid 1980's Bosch Injected Alfa spider engine and
driveline complete with the computers.  At least everything is more or less a
bolt in with all Alfa components.  And the Bosch injected Alfas are very
reliable in my experience.
       For an even easier swap, find a 91 or newer Alfa spider drive train
with an automatic.  No clutch linkage problems, but the transmission tunnel
might be too small.
       I would suggest sticking with Alfa power.  The car will be worth more
if it is not perceived as having been butchered to stuff an off brand engine
into it.  Plus to suggest otherwise would make this off topic for the Alfa
Digest.

       On the other hand, a Mazda rotary engine is very compact and would fit
most anywhere.  The Ford Pinto 2300 overhead cam four is a good engine that
should fit.  Honda?  Naw, a Honda in an Alfa would be desecration.  Cummings
Turbo Diesel?  Ferrari F1 might be interesting...

Ciao,
Russ Neely
Oklahoma City