Re: Worth the effort?

Heya Bruce,

I have the IAP spring set fitted in FrankenSpider. It is at stock 1971/72 ride height and is a touch stiffer than stock. I have Koni shocks fitted, fronts set to 3/4 hard and the rears to 1/4 hard. I installed the adjustable upper control arms and had the front suspension calibrated for a little negative camber and a little positive caster for better steering feel. At this point, it seems nearly perfect but I think I need to have it adjusted for just a little more toe-in based on the tire wear pattern.

I think it's well worth the effort to get the car's handling feel up to snuff. I keep thinking I also want one of the forward chassis stiffeners for even better steering feel and positive feedback, but I haven't gotten to that yet.

The forward exhaust pipe/catcon is the lowest point of the car's underbelly (3.25" max) and will scrape over driveway humps and such easily. By comparison, the lowest point under engine sump guard is 4.50-4.75". I intend to help the exhaust clearance issue in the near future with a custom exhaust made up of 1973 headers and downpipes mated to a custom high-performance catcon and stock tail section. Preliminary investigation seems to indicate that I can do this and net about another inch of exhaust clearance, which should solve the grounding problem.

Of course, this will follow the new sump/sump guard/engine mount/radiator repairs required by CalTrans' delightfully proficient maintenance of the local interstate freeway... grrr...

Godfrey