Re: Help, Lug Nuts Came Loose While Driving

----- Original Message -----
From: "Dick Stachowiak" <stachowiak@domain.elided>
To: <alfa@domain.elided>
Sent: Friday, September 27, 2002 1:08 AM
Subject: Help, Lug Nuts Came Loose While Driving

> I just installed a set of refinished Turbina's with new Dunlop Sport
> A2's on my Spider tonight. The wheels were in good shape, and were
> painted just to spruce them up.  I took it out for a test drive and
> after about 5 miles of spirited driving I started getting a pretty
> significant vibration.  I pulled over to find that the lug nuts on the
> drivers front wheel had come loose.  This is a 71 Spider that has late
> style long wheel studs.  I had installed new lug nuts that I got from
> NAPA, and although I didn't use a torque wrench to tighten them,
> shouldn't have come loose.  I've been putting wheels on for 35  years
> and never had one come loose till now.  So my question is what
> happened?  Could the Turbina's require a special taper on the lug nut?
> Should they require a higher torque?  I'm getting the car ready for the
> central New York Italian Car Cruise this weekend and either need to get
> this resolved, or I'm going to have to put the original steel wheels
> with crappy old tires on before my wife will get back in the car.  Also
> any recommendations for tire pressure for 195-65-14 Sport A2's?
>
> Dick Stachowiak
>
> 71 Spider
> 71 GTV
> --
Dick,

Searched my manuals and oddly enough did not see a torque setting for the
spider wheels.   The setting for 164 is 70-71 ft. lbs. but this is bolts
versus studs and FWD.  I use 30-35 ft. lbs on my 79 Alfetta.

I had a simlar experience with my 79 - front wheel started vibrating and
once in the parking garage found the wheel loose.  Was my own fault.  I
could have sworn that I torqued wheel after a brake job but the fact was I
snugged them intending to do final tightening once the wheel was on the
ground, and forgot to do so.  Not saying you did this, but it happened to
me.

Also, when mounting new wheels or wheels from another vehicle, you should
re-torque after the first 50-100 miles.

Hope this helps, sure someone will have the correct torque setting.

Don