Re: Oh, I've done it now....

Stacy,

> Date: Tue, 24 Sep 2002 03:34:26 -0700
> From: Stacy Faught <slfaught@domain.elided>
> Subject: Oh, I've done it now....
>

> Needless to say, THIS WAS A VERY DUMB THING TO DO!....The intake cam is
> damaged---probably not useable anymore.  The cam collar screws (that
> is--the threaded posts
> that are part of the head) are bent slightly (just the foward intake-side),
> and the cam collar hole
> is now out-of-round.
> Can this head be fixed (ie--Sperry)?  Could I have also damaged the piston
> and/or connecting rod,
> crank, ect?
> Right now, I'm thinking that I can drive the head over to Sperry and have
> it reconditioned--
> and ported/polished while I'm at it.  A new intake cam will be necessary
> also.  But do I need to
> find a new head?  I don't think I could have damaged the piston, or
> crank/connecting rod
> assembly (I can't imagine I exerted more force than they normally
> see..)...looking into the
> spark plug hole, the piston looks like it still has the proper shape---just
> a small scratch in the
> carbon deposits....
> Sorry for the long post....,no need for flames either--I already know how
> extremely dumb I was!
> Just looking for some advice on if the head is salvageable or if I should
> bite the bullet and
> find a new/used one, and if I could have damaged anything else.

Ouch!  Yes.  Take it to Sperry to assess the damage.  It sounds like the cam
caps can be align bored and the cam straightend an reground - go for a more
aggressive pattern for the street.  But it might be cheaper to get an old
core head from the wrecking yard and start from there.  Sperry can tell you
which is most cost effective.

I doubt there is any damage to piston, con rod or crank.  It's easier to bend
valves than it is the con rods.  In fact, I'm a little surprised you bent the
intake cam and cam cap instead of the intake valve.