Spider 88, engine knocking at acceleration

I have got a problem with engine knocking at acceleration, probably caused
by pre ignition combustion.
Ignition timing seemes to be ok and also the mixture,  when checking the
voltage from the lambda sensor during driving.

I guess I will have to take off the top to check for carbon deposits inside
the combustion chamber but I don't feel certain that this is the problem as
the spark plugs have always been clean and with the correct colour.

Before I take off the top I thought I should ask if anybody out there has
experienced other reasons than carbon deposits in the head for engine
knocking?

Regards
Harald Danielsen
Norway