replacing generator with alternator HELP !

Hi everyone,

I've finally had it ! After getting voltage surges I replaced my voltage regulator in my Duetto with a new one. It worked fine for a day and then the generator light went on and stayed on. I pulled the generator and took it to a shop who told me that the armature went bad - it overheated possibly due to a bad or non-polarized voltage regulator ( Stuart Sandeman on the AROC tech hotline said polarizing the regulator isn't necessary ).

I want an alternator now. Can anyone remember which one is a good fit for a 1600 ? I seem to remember this discussion recently and mention was made of a Geo alternator ?

Anyway, any help will be greatly appreciated. This has been the ONLY troublesome system on my car.

Ciao,

Dan
67 Duetto
74 GTV ( with electrical gremlins of its own )