Re: To whomever was asking about warming up, guages, etc.

It has been drilled into me that the main reason for the Alfa V-6 popping head gaskets is that people drive them when cold, and these engines have too much oil pressure when the oil is cold. Since blown head gaskets are definately a BAD THING, I have, since I bought my current GTV-6, been in the habit of not moving the car until the water temperature gauge needle has visibly moved off it's rest pin. This MIGHT be unnecessary, but its better than a blown head gasket.

George Graves

On Wednesday, September 25, 2002, at 08:52 AM, alfa-digest wrote:

Date: Wed, 25 Sep 2002 09:49:30 +0100
From: "Nick Koleszar" <npk@domain.elided>
Subject: To whomever was asking about warming up, guages, etc.

No, the rest of us don't have temp guages on the axles, gearboxes or diffs.

To warm up a car, start driving it gently soon after you start the engine.
Don't rev it hard or try to make fast gearchanges just drive smoothly and
sensibly for (depending on the weather/temperature) about 10 minutes until
the engine temp is up to its normal. By then, the rest of the car should be
nicely warmed up. If you're planning to do an Italian tuneup then why not
play it safe and drive the car for 30 minutes first?

nk

Nick Koleszar koleszar@domain.elided
outgoing mail scanned for viruses by Norton.