Marelli Plex Timing

I just replaced the ignition on my 71 Spider with a Marelli Plex from a
81 Spider.  The dual pickup was bad and I replaced it with a single
pickup since I didn't have the vacuum switch and relay to make use of
the second pickup anyway.  What should I set the timing to?  This
distributor doesn't seem to have very much mechanical advance and if I
set the the timing to the "M" mark at 5000 RPM then the timing at idle
is about half way between the "P" and "M" mark.  The advance mechanism
is clean and operates without any binding.  Has anyone found a solution
to this?

Dick Stachowiak

71 Spider
71 GTV (almost finished)