Catalytic 'test pipe' for Spica Spider

In a message dated Tue, 24 Sep 2002 16:36:04 +0000, owner-alfa-digest@domain.elided writes:

> Date: Tue, 24 Sep 2002 15:20:25 +0000
> From: JeffreyOlson@domain.elided
> Subject: Catalytic 'test pipe' for Spica Spider, anyone have one?
>
> Shankle/AR Ricambi used to sell a catalytic converter 'test pipe'.
>
> Anyone have one of these to sell or know a source?  Need one for a '78 Spider
> w/Spica.  Might try fabricating one using the flanges from
> a ratty old
> converter.
>
> Jeff

     I have a brand new Ansa Catalytic Converter Test Pipe in my attic, which is where it will stay until the one on my 82 spider burns out.  This is nothing more than a resonator / short muffler with flanges to bolt up where the cat is supposed to bolt.  The term, "Test Pipe" is a bit euphemistic.  They have not been made in some years.  I suspect that either Catalytic Converters have gotten better or people have learned to accept them.  I got the last "Test Pipe" that Vick Auto had.
     Look at the AR Ricambi ad in Alfa Owner for any of the last few months.  They show a replacement Cat for the Spica cars.  I used that cat when I converted my 82 spider to 74 manifolds with a 74 head pipe.  I cut off the 74 head pipe, welded on the front half cut from an old muffler and bolted it all to the Spica style cat.  Back when Oklahoma required annual inspection, the cat and a stock muffler went on the car for about 15 minutes a year.  Now the "test pipe" resides on the car all the time.
    It would not be that hard to build one.  The only problem is that the flanges on the Cat might be stainless steel.  You can weld stainless to normal steel if you use stainless wire in a MIG.

Ciao,
Russ Neely
Oklahoma City