Re: James Dean (Alfa content, yeh!)

> ------------------------------
>
> Date: Mon, 23 Sep 2002 14:26:03 +0100
> From: "Niall Mulligan" <njmulligan@domain.elided>
> Subject: Re: James Dean (NAC)
>
> Came across this recently.
> Don't know how accurate any of it is but there's more at
> http://www.vintageautoracing.com/msgthread.cfm?threadid=1538&messa
> ges=140#53
> 12
> Just look at the length of that thread....
>
> "Friends told James Dean that the car was trouble when they saw it -
> Nicknamed "The Little Bastard," the silver 1955 Porsche Spyder
> 550...one of
> only 90 built-- carried the iconic screen rebel to his grave on September
> 30, 1955.
> After the tragedy, master car customizer George Barris bought the
> wreck for

<snip>

I wonder how much of this lore is actually true. In any case, it's as good
an argument as any to drive an Alfa instead of a Porsche. My mate raced at
the Nurburgring in '62 and '63. He reckons the only reason the Porsches were
so successful in motorsports was that nobody could pass the damn tubs as
they wandered from one side of the straight to another....

Check out his photos of Abarth factory racers:
http://www.motorsnippets.com/cars/john_racing/index.htm
(that's my mate looking like Kevin Bacon in the first photo)

More Alfa content:

A friend's nice 1750S (a couple of  mates have driven but I haven't had a
chance yet, damn!):
http://www.motorsnippets.com/cars/carol/index.asp

A 2.9-inspired car:
http://www.motorsnippets.com/cars/Sam%20Alfa/index.htm

Alfa Romeo museum London show:
http://www.motorsnippets.com/cars/alfa_exhibition/index.asp

Non-Alfa but definitely worth reading - hilarious account of racing an
ex-Targa Florio Benz:
http://www.motorsnippets.com/cars/merc_targa_florio/index.asp

nk

Nick Koleszar   koleszar@domain.elided
outgoing mail scanned for viruses by Norton.
1971 Alfa Romeo Giulia Super 2.0
1990 Alfa Romeo 75 3.0 QV
1993 Mini
1990-ish Rotax 125cc/Gbox kart