1978 Spider Air Pump Belt

Folks,

Do any of you know what this thing does? the tensioner pulley on my alfa bit
the dust, and took the belt with it (friction-heat-smoke-snap) before I
could get off the road. I *think* I can drive the car home (~30 mile)
because I think the only downside is a larger than normal amount of
pollution. On the other hand, maybe it'll blow my catalytic converter. I
don't know, but I'm hoping one of you does!

Any help, as always, greatly appreaciated!

Karsten 78 spider