Re: RE: Italian Rebirth and James Dean (not connected except both non-Alfa)

The Brit magazine Evo has tested the Edonis and apparently it's very fast and handles very well. Somebody must think that there are mess of gazillionaires out there for all of these five-and-a-half figure supercars to flourish. Lessee, aside from Ferrari and Lamborghini, there's the Pagani, the Keonigsegg (Kings Egg? A supercar from Sweden? Now I've seen everything), the new VW group-built Bugatti (c'mon people. let the marque RIP) and from this side of the pond there's the new Saleen, soon to be joined by the all-new GT-40 clone from Ford. The Chippies in Southern California are sharpening their pencils even now as we speak.

BTW, Failure Analysis Inc. doing a computer analysis of Dean's crash from the CHP accident report, concluded that the sun was in Dean's eyes, and that he couldn't see Turnupseed's Ford -and that Dean wasn't speeding. Glasses or no, sun in eyes means poor visibility.

George Graves

On Friday, September 20, 2002, at 05:29 PM, alfa-digest wrote:

Date: Fri, 20 Sep 2002 23:17:37 +0100
From: "Nick Koleszar" <npk@domain.elided>
Subject: RE: Italian Rebirth and James Dean (not connected except both non-Alfa)

Other Italian marques resurrected:

Mondial. FB (Fratelli Boselli) Mondial made motorcycles/scooters until
sometime, I think, in the 80s. They have just been resurrected (well, the
name has) with the Mondial Piega.
http://www.motobykz.co.uk/Mondial/Mondial.htm It uses a Honda V-twin motor
which is, ironically, basically a Ducati clone.

Bugatti. Well, kind of. There is a new(ish) supercar (or is it stupidcar?)
called the Edonis by B Engineering. Again, irony enters into this, as many
of the key staff at B Engineering (oh, ok, there's probably only about 8
people there or something so they're all probably key) are from the oldnew
Bugatti firm, B Engineering are based next door to the oldnew Bugatti plant
and the Edonis uses left-over EB110 chassis. As the chassis only weigh
something like 35kg, I suppose hefting over the wall wasn't too
difficult.... Oh, and the engine is almost the same but I think uses only 2
turbos instead of 4.
http://www.edonis.it/

Talking of resurrection, I wish Alfa Romeo would rebuild their website using
intelligent web developers, not moronic web designers who insist on using
Flash. The old site was so nice and quick. The current one is just plain
flab. Any site that says "Loading....please wait" is really really crap, and
that's on a broadband connection.

There. See, I knew I could manage to squeeze both Alfa Romeo content AND a
good moan into this posting.

Further to this, how is it that BMW can get 333bhp and 269lb-ft from the 3.2
litre 6 cyl engine in their M3 but AR can only manage a comparatively measly
250 bhp and 221 lb-ft from theirs?

Lucky for us the Ultimate Driving Machine weighs 160kg more than the GTA.

I seem to recall reading somewhere that James Dean likely crashed and died
(1954 Porsche Spyder 550/1500 RS) because he was too vain to wear his
eyeglasses and, as a result, couldn't see properly. Not sure how true that
is. On the other hand, even if he could see properly, he appears to have
been driving far too fast and you could hardly blame another motorist for
underestimating the Porsche's approach speed if Dean was driving the way he
apparently had been driving all afternoon.
http://www.rebeljamesdean.homestead.com/porsche.html

Hopefully, I'll have my Giulia Super back at home tomorrow which should make
up for not being able to make Le Mans this weekend.

nk

Nick Koleszar koleszar@domain.elided
outgoing mail scanned for viruses by Norton.