PT

In a message dated 9/19/2002 8:21:29 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
owner-alfa-digest@domain.elided writes:

> Duh, Ford is a major force behind the dealer network and advertising for
> Jag.  However, the perception of unreliable break down machines still
> existed.

There is almost no bad product perception that can't be overcome (not to say
changed) if you have the determination and the budget to mount a real effort.
 Audi is often singled out as a success story.  In fact, Alfa, for example,
could very easily NEVER attempt to change the impression that their cars are
unreliable and just ignore those people who have that attitude as not being
prospects likely enough to spend any marketing bucks on.  It would be wiser
to ignore the small number of people who have any impression at all and
concentrate on building a fresh, positive, desirable image.  PS, this takes
beaucoup bucks.

But the idea, sorry to say, very typical of engineers in my own experience,
that if something is technically superior it will "sell itself" does not work
at all.  Too many examples to site.  The fallacy is that the buy decision is
based on informed intelligence, when in fact statistically this is almost
never the case.  And mass market manufactured products are sold by
statistics, not by anecdote.

Charlie
LA, CA, USA