wooden steering wheel for 1986 spider

The question is simple, but I wasn't able to find any answer on the archive of
that list: is the wooden steering wheel of a 70's spider can be fitted on a
1986 spider hub without major modification ?

Looking at some pictures from various spiders, I realized that the 1986
steering wheel is not as deep as the wooden wheel from the 70's spiders: I
mean distance from the hub to the wheel arch is shorter for the 1986.