Subject: '79 Alfetta Sedan Project - Drive line "clunk"

don,
check these things first:
shift linkage - might hit the driveshaft on gear changes, check for sloppy
shifter, marks on the driveshaft and attachment to gear selector rod at the
trans end
rear trans mount - easily visible
left & right front trans mounts - i think you should be able to take a look at
them from the front under the car. have a helper jack-up the front of the
trans very slowly & carefully, it shouldnt move up at the front. to change
them, you have to disconnect the driveshaft and drop the cross member, if
memory serves me right
worst case would be that the de-dion bush in the front of the a-arm- although
you'd hear the clunck regardless if you shift or not by just driving over some
rough surface or if you hit a lane marker, speed hump etc.....
pressing this bush in and out is an absolute PITA for a home job, I wouldn't
do it myself (again) unless I have the whole thing out and I can use a press
or a huge vice .. Also check for the big washer that fits between the cross
member and the bush at the top. The washer maybe missing, which together with
a worn bush may explain the tight clearance of the slave to the floor.

while you under there you may want to check the brake rotors/pads/hoses for
wear and the driveshaft & axleshaft bolts for tightness...
good luck,
martin in sydney