Date: Mon, 16 Sep 2002 07:30:24 -0500
From: "Ralph Fetsch" <RFetsch@domain.elided>
Subject: spider alternator

Brian wrote "Last winter I installed a rebuilt alternator in my 71 spider.
It never
worked right so I sent it back for warranty repair.  It worked great for six

months and now I am getting no amps out of it.  I think this particular unit

is haunted, so my question is to those in the know:
Should I purchase an identical stock alternator and from what source has
been
reliable? Or is there an upgrade to a newer or otherwise different
alternator
that works correctly on this car?  Any advice is humbly appreciated and
eagerly awaited.
Brian Ancelin
Denton, Texas"

Brian;

I purchased a rebuilt alternator from Auto Zone in 1997 for my 91 Spider
before I left Houston for the Memphis area. the first one they gave me
lasted 90 miles and it burnt itself out. It was putting out 17+ volts. The
second one, which is currently in the car puts out 14.7 volts and is still
working. Buy one from Auto Zone and forget it, it has a live time warranty,
if it goes bad they'll get you another one. I did the same thing with the
starter about the same time, two years ago the local Auto Zone here in
Cordova TN replaced it free no questions asked, this after five (5) years,
they still had my old Houston address in their computer.

Love those life time warranties, I got three(3) complete brakes jobs front
and rear jobs from Sears on my wife's 85 T-Bird we had for 13 years. does
this make me a cheat Alfa owner? I call it smart.

Cordova Ralph
Ralph Fetsch
Cordova Tennessee
1991 Spider Veloce w/auto 198,000+ (S)miles
1964 Giulia 1600 Spider