Re: definition of a sports sedan

CM Smith proposes that "There is no definition of a sports sedan" and five
paragraphs later says "So, in the fine tradition of this digest let us compare
our own definitions of what a sports sedan is", which suggests that contrary
to his premise there are probably many definitions of a sport sedan. One or
more of these two statements is probably correct enough.

I will just mention that Alfa's first shot at in-house serial production of
standard car bodies was a metal four-door sedan built from 1929 into 1933 on
the 6C 1750 and 6C 1900 chassis. The body was offered on the Turismo chassis,
with a single overhead camshaft, and as the Gran Turismo on the Sport e Gran
Turismo chassis with twin cams and a slightly higher compression ratio (the
Gran Turismo also available with a two-door Touring Berlinetta body, among
others) and finally, in 1931, on the Gran Turismo Compressore chassis in a
state of tune just slightly lower than that of the 1750 Super Sport. Fusi
mentions "This car was in high demand by an elite of amateurs who liked
comfort combined with sport touring features" which, given the passage of
sixty years, sounds rather 164-ish except for the "in high demand" part.

A 1750 Gran Turismo Compressore Berlina Aerodinamica by Touring (with a
Weymann patent fabric body, which is where Touring's Superleggera idea
started) took first place in the category "Guide Interne" (enclosed drive) in
the 1932 Mille Miglia, which I would think would validate its rank as a
genuine Sport Sedan.

Alfa was certainly not the only maker of cars which could legitimately be
called Sport Sedans, and one in particular seems apposite to counter CM's
musing that "If one breaks too far above a reasonable weight why not include
the Bentley Turbo R. This frighteningly quick and fast car handles extremely
well, goes very fast and accelerates very quickly. But it's HUGE man, and FAT
weighing in at nearly 6,000 lbs. It drives like a rocket powered living room
(or smoking room in a gentlemen's club more like) nowhere near what seekers of
'sport' are looking for." The car I am thinking about is Woolfe Barnato's
"Blue Train" Bentley, with which Barnato (a multi-repeat winner at Le Mans)
won a bet whether he could or could not beat the famously fast express train
of that name from London to Monte Carlo. Never mind that the car popularly
called the "Blue Train" isn't the one he drove to win that bet, both were
sedans, both were large, heavy and sporting (Ettore Bugatti, when asked his
opinion, said "M. Bentley builds the fastest lories in the world"), both drove
(for their time) "like a rocket powered smoking room in a gentlemen's club"
and anyone who thinks that Barnato wasn't thoroughly a "seeker of 'sport'" is,
in my opinion, probably incorrect.

I am not, of course, saying that a 164 would be my choice Sport Sedan, but
then neither would any other current or anticipated future Alfa. Stuck
hopelessly in a simpler age, I am. But I would personally define such terms as
"Sport Sedan" very broadly, including many cars which more particular people
might exclude.

Enjoy yours,

John H.