Sports Sedan

There is no definition of a sports sedan. BMW is supposed to have "invented" the category with the 2002 (or its predecessor the 1600). After making horrible little cars and a few bigger and less horrible ones, BMW finally hit on the right balance between size and performance.

I can't help feeling that any car much over 3,000 lbs curb weight (or kerb weight for the Brits) can possibly qualify as a sports anything. My SAAB 9000 turbos are around 3,100 lbs before I get in (and I ain't admitting what that does to the weight) and they are pretty peppy. The 86 will easily turn an 8 second 0-60 mph and the 97 Aero can get into the high 6's if you can stop the front tires smoking into oblivion. A box stock 91 164L 5 spd has trouble getting down to 8 seconds. The S could but only by reducing the final drive ratio by 10%, sacrificing its top end. Any of these cars would run circles (ponderously) any 2002 or 320.

If one allows for modern crash regulations adding inexorably to the weight of even sports sedans I guess a 3,100 lb car could be classed as a sports sedan, but 3,500 lbs? Or, god forbid, 3,700 lbs which is what those porky German cars weigh, the new M3 and the A4. Come on, where's the sport? If one breaks too far above a reasonable weight why not include the Bentley Turbo R. This frighteningly quick and fast car handles extremely well, goes very fast and accelerates very quickly. But it's HUGE man, and FAT weighing in at nearly 6,000 lbs. It drives like a rocket powered living room (or smoking room in a gentlemen's club more like) nowhere near what seekers of "sport" are looking for.

Nope, there are very very few sports sedans left in North America. North America doesn't build any. The VW is the only European entry i can think of. The Subaru WRX, or even the lesser models, and the Mazda MP3 certainly qualify.

Mercedes? Give me a break. I know Mercedes has just released a toy car, three door hatch, to "capture" its youth market but it ain't a sedan let alone a sports sedan in my books, and the rest are way too heavy.

So, in the fine tradition of this digest let us compare our own definitions of what a sports sedan is (remember how much fun it was defining a sports car) and list our candidates.

Enjoy

Michael Smith
Calgary, Alberta,Canada
91 Alfa 164L