Re: alfa-digest V8 #1107

Richard Welty asked:
> has GM wrecked Saab?

As of the 1999 model year, GM had not wrecked Saab, IMHO. My wife's 9-3 SE is a very impressive car, and the difference between it and a 900SE is quite noticeable when they are driven back-to-back. That being said, Greg Stewart's response:

Ask that question again in a few years time.  The next generation 9-3 will
not be available as a hatchback (only as a sedan), which evidently is
already causing heated discussion amongst Saab loyalists.
is very much to the point. Even if Trollhatten can maintain its engineering quality, Saab distinctiveness has already fallen victim to GM marketing imperatives. I did see an excellent review of the 2003 9-3 recently, but with no hatch option, I doubt we'll be returning to Saab in the future. We have no desire to own minivans or SUVs, so four-door hatchbacks are perfect. We also look for cars with both distinctive performance and appearance, so no boring BMW wannabees for us. I expect that if our 164 dies, we'll try our best to scrounge up another one (the looks we get when we tell people that our "spare" car is an Alfa are priceless, plus it really is a fun car, despite it not being a sport sedan). If my Saab 9000 CS (yes, that is definitely a sport sedan) dies, I'll be looking for a '97 Aero or a '98 CSE.

Andrew Weiss
'91 164L
'96 9000 CS
'99 9-3 SE