Re: New ones....

dsedon@domain.elided wrote:
sure, the wolwo is that much. which is why i'd *never*
> spend that kinda money [$40k] on *any* new car.

Yeah every time I catch myself thinking about purchasing a new car (generally after a particularly vexing day of working on one of my cars) I eventually reach the conclusion that $40k buys me:

a) a "nice" new car. Which will require me to use the dealer for service, will have a brutal depreciation schedule, will be expensive to insure (my current cars do not warrant collision coverage), and will give me stress every time it's out of my sight.

b) A "cheap" used Ferrari (two of my favorite cars are the 308s and the Ferrari/Fiat/Dino 246s) or a Pantera with a few years of gas to go with it. In other words, cars I'd love to own. Plus insurance costs and stress.

c) between 5-20 more "cheap" Alfas

d) One year (at least) earlier retirement date and just one more cheap Alfa.

Option "d" wins every time (with "c" being a close second.)

--Mark