Re: alfa-digest V8 #1087

In a message dated 9/8/2002 8:22:33 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
owner-alfa-digest@domain.elided writes:

> Probably not too many people. The enthusiasts do, and I probably would, but
> average Joe, who buys the majority of cars, is unlikely to risk his money
> on an Italian car, IMO. If he does, he is likely to be disappointed by
> small flaws and rapid depreciation, and won't do THAT again.
> i.e.- Recently, the Wall Street Journal reviewed the new Maserati. Made the
> right sounds, provided a great driving experience, and was thought to be a
> half price Ferrari in the reviewers opinion. Beautiful, with an interior
> that was fragrant with the smell of fine leather. However, on a long drive
> the reviewers wife had to comment, "Your $90,000 car is dripping on my
> feet". Furthermore, the switches for the trunk and gas filler flap are
> enclosed in a little assembly in the glove box. The first time it was used,
> it came apart. Unfortunately, those are the little things that enthusiasts
> shrug off, but that the buying public remembers.

That kind of thing, leading to low volume, and a crackpot notion of US dealer
network and ad requirements, plus the looming giant investment in OBDII for
those alienated dealers, made it a good decision to withdraw from the US
market.  Will Rogers said, "When you find youself in a hole, stop digging."

One of my sources also has it that there were in place contractual agreements
with Chrysler that would be more trouble than they were worth to get out of,
even once I guess both sides could see it was marriage made in Purgatory.
Better to let the contacts lapse.  Now, that has probably happened.

Still, what is there to look forward to: a feckless but large market with an
ever-shrinking segment made of new passenger cars.  A majority of customers
who do not appreciate the kind of things Alfa shines at (in fact, the
opposite).  Price and financing driven marketing that is predicated on volume
and a very cozy relationship with a finance firm with its own fish to fry.
And a fundamental disconnect between the manufacturer and the majority of the
market.  I am still guardedly pessimistic.

But, I do not think Alfa's history and withdrawal in the US market was caused
by an inability to meet US safety standards.  After all, that, like build
quality,  is a technical issue that has been solved by others; all it takes
is sufficient money and determination and that can be knocked quite easily.

You still have to sell the resulting cars, though.  And contrive to do so for
more than it costs to build and market them.

I say it's spinach and I say the hell with it.

Charlie
LA, CA, USA