Re: 3.0L v6 into GTV-6

I don't know all the details involved, but if you have 164 organ donor, all you're really missing is the oil pan--whether a 2.5 pan will fit I don't know--you may need to get Verde bits for this and maybe for the motor mounts as well. The other pitfall is converting the pulleys from the 164's serpentine belt to the old-style v-belt as used on the GTV6 and 75/Milano. But I have to wonder, if you've got a whole 164 at your disposal, why not just use the 164's accessories and serpentine drive in the GTV6? Probably a better alternator, certainly a better AC compressor, I would think. You'll have to fabricate some kind of idler to replace the PS pump, but that shouldn't be too hard. If you choose to keep the Motronic with the engine (which is a Very Good Idea, if you ask me), you'll need the crank position sensor which is probably on the crank pulley, anyway. More experienced hot rodders, feel free to correct me, but I'm pretty sure that the oil pan and motor mounts will be your only real problems. Oh, almost forgot the crankshaft output. Not sure what's involved there. Sorry.

-Joe

At 6:43 PM +0000 9/2/02, alfa-digest wrote:

Date: Sun, 01 Sep 2002 23:18:02 -0400
From: "B. A. Coburn" <bacoburn@domain.elided>
Subject: 3.0L v6 into GTV-6

Hey fellow Alfa folks: I have a 164 base with a lot of minor problems that
add up to a sizable chunk of change to fix.  It does have a running 3.0L V6
and the motoronic goodies.  Any thoughts about transplanting the engine into
a GTV6?  Pitfalls?  Did read over Nizam's info on the Verde/Motoronic
install but, with the intake runners and differing location of some of the
other components, wondered what would be involved.  Use the heads on a Verde
block?  Also saw Larry Dickman's photos on the 24 valve transplanted into
his GTV6 so know it can be done...

Thanks,
Brooks