Re: Alfetta Project - Driveline Clunk

Daegrigg (Don) wrote:
The 79 Alfetta Sedan has developed a loud clunk/thud when shifting gears. The sound can be avoided by very gentle shifting. I suspect the drive center bearing from a similar experience with my 86 spider.
Under the car, I could not find an obvious impact point and vigorous shaking of the drive shaft did not reveal unusual (subjective) play.
Anyone with a similar experience or suggestion on the source.
From my experience with my Milano Verde I'd suggest you check the condition of: The rear transaxle/trunion bushing. It's about 2" diameter and connects the rear of the transaxle to the chassis. Mine was completely shot, and was allowing the transaxle to move back and forth causing an occasional thunk.

Another source of noise was the rear sway bar bushings... They had more or less evaporated, and would thunk under acceleration.

My guess is that if they haven't been touched in the last 10 years or so, you'll find that all the bushings/mounts are due for replacement. It takes some effort, but it's totally worth it, and will transform the feel of the car. I'm a big fan of polyurethane bushings if availible.

--Mark