re: 76 Alfetta GT

Tim writes:

>I happened upon a '76 Alfetta GT, body 116.15,with only 72,000 miles that I
>am interested in restoring.  It has the 4 cylinder 1957cc fuel injected
>engine as many of you may know.  I am intrested in swapping out the 4 for a
>6 and would like to know about what to expect to pay for a GTV-6 2.5L.

Hi Tim,
I'm not usually one to discourage anyone from a project, and I have no idea if
you've ever done an engine swap.  If you haven't, you might want to consider
that putting a V6 in an Alfetta that came with a 4cyl might involve quite a
bit of peripheral work, like different front springs, brake booster/master,
steering box, radiator, etc.  GTV/6's have a different hood too, I think
because the original Alfetta hood is too low to clear the V6.  Someone on the
list with a GTV/6 could probably offer the specific differences.

My advice would be, if you want a V6 car find a project GTV/6, it will
probably be less cost and trouble in the long run.  Just one opinion, there
are lots of people with more experience with Alfettas so remember that my
advice is worth what you paid for it! ;-)

>    I have a few questions/concerns about this car.  It has been sitting for
>about a year and half being run/moved periodically, but has been sitting
>for 3 months straight with very little oil in it because one of the seals
>needs to be replaced. The car is lacking spark plugs so it couldn't be
>started at the time but he says it will start. (I doubt him)

No plugs is bad.  "Very little oil" is bad.  It's all bad.  Honestly, I'd
assume the engine needs a full rebuild, and then be pleasantly surprised if
it's in better shape.  I'd tell him that if he thinks it will start, then get
some plugs and show me, otherwise the deal is for a non-running car.

>The interior is
>in very good shape.  The driver side rear has some minor damage/rust but the
>rest of the body looks pretty good and it needs a paint job and a new dash.
>
>  The guy is asking 800 for it and would like to know what a fair price is.

Did you check floors, door bottoms, rockers, cowl, around the hatch window,
etc?  Alfettas can hold their own against any Alfa when it comes to rusting,
and Portland is rust-friendly territory.  Hard to say what a fair price is for
a project car, there's a lot of personal stuff that would be different from
you to me.  If it were me and I wanted the car, with unknown engine condition
and whatever else, I'd probably start the bidding in the $300 range.  But then
I'm a notoriously cheap SOB.

>I would also like someone who is familier with these cars and preferably a
>mechanic to look at the car.  Any recomendations for the Portland, Oregon
>area?

If you're willing to tow it, you've got a couple options.  Nasko's
(503-771-1472) on SE 54th & Foster if you're on the east side of the river.
Veloce Motors (503-274-0064) on NW Flanders & 14th if you're on the West side.
Don't know if you could talk one of them into a "house call", I kind of doubt
it.

Cheers,
Tony
Portland, OR
70 2800 CS
72 Bavaria ($300 project car, ran strong and had new tires, needed a
driveshaft)