Re: Volvo's vs. Motorcycles

Here's my experience with Volvos:

There's a (very) twisty section of Highway 35 south of San Francisco.  One of
my favorites.  After a mile or so it straightens out a bit.  As I was leaving
the twisties for this relatively straight section in my Moto Guzzi (wannabe)
superbike, I encountered a Volvo station wagon (an 850 I believe) parked
halfway on the shoulder and halfway on the road.  It/she/he decided to pull
out completely just as I came barreling through the turn at a brisk pace.  I
was never in any real danger as the bike was already upright and the Brembo
rotors provide excellent stopping power.  Not wanting to tailgate this fool, I
crossed the double yellow line to pass, which is something I almost never do.
Unfortunately, at that exact moment, a CHP cop on a BMW motorcycle came in the
opposite and saw the whole maneuver.  Busted.  He pulled a U-turn and caught
up with me a few minutes later.  As the officer and I were exchanging
formalities in a turn-out, I saw the offending Volvo station wagon whisk pass,
totally oblivious to being at fault.  (Bastard/bitch.)  The cop let me go with
a warning (it helps to be polite), but I think that somewhere in the cogwheel
that moonlights as his brain, he cognitively compared the Guzzi and Volvo, and
decided that pasta primavera smothered in pesto is always preferable to dried
North Sea herring.

Ride (and drive) safe,

Paul cuadra@domain.elided

95 LS 5-speed