choices? what choices?

In a message dated 8/26/2002 9:20:48 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
owner-alfa-digest@domain.elided writes:

> I fully sympathize with Nicky's wish to find logic in Alfa's cosmetic
> choices,
> but I am resigned to thinking that the aesthetic component in Milanese
> design
> (furniture, architecture, graphics, industrial design as well as Alfas) is
> highly variable- sometimes brilliant, sometimes eccentric, sometime
> amusing,
> sometimes unfathomable- but seldom fully rational, and I look for the
> character, continuity, and merit more in other elements of the product. I
> didn't buy our Milano primarily for its looks, although I did chose what I
> thought was the least worst option.

Thinking back to a somewhat later vintage GTV6 (1985?) I am reminded of the
switch to impossible-to-fit size wheels.  Was this a choice... or did the
minions of the boardroom cook up a deal with a tire supplier who happened to
be sitting on an inventory of unsold metric oddball tires he wanted to clear
out at a price, and that the deal was egged on by trade officials eager for
worker confidence?

Maybe someone once thought the silver with bilious blue combination worked.
Maybe it was a fallback position.  Maybe it was a mistake.   Maybe someone
thought if they shipped silver cars to the USA they would be mistaken for
German, and so snapped up no-questions-asked.  Or maybe they got a deal from
the tannery.

Perhaps it was the same blind person who came up with "Opal" - a shit-brown
combination of red, brown, and baby-flake metallic that was the original
haberdashery of my own beloved GTV6.

It is happier in red.  I have it from the horse's mouth.

Charlie
LA, CA, USA