re: Still mo' Superchargers, EFI, Twin Sparks

Dave commented:

>Personally I think Eric is going to be hard pressed to do this on 1K,
>although if one is putting together used parts I suppose almost anything is
>possible if you search hard and are creative.

For those into the low budget DIY approach to more boost, it seems to me
that one of the significant advantages of turbocharging is that turbos are
so common on modern cars that there is plenty of choice of used turbos (and
associated plumbing, intercoolers etc) at very reasonable prices.
Particularly if you are only after relatively low boost, many production 2L
turbo cars (most being 200hp+ stock) have their relatively small factory
turbos (e.g. Garret T25, T28 and similar) replaced with bigger units in
search of more boost. Superchargers are a lot less common. Compressor trim
and turbine housing A/R make a big difference to how a turbo will perform,
so you do need to be sure what you are getting.

The more basic programmable engine management systems (Link, Microtech, Wolf
etc) retail for about $US500, and are supposedly quite capable. That leaves
another $500 for the rest of the bits, which should all be able to be
sourced secondhand - assuming you can weld a suitable exhaust manifold....

Mark Battley
Auckland, New Zealand.

1973 Alfa Romeo 2000 GT Veloce - mobile again, with new windscreen and
surrounding metal  :-)) Now all it needs is enough power to keep up with the
Uno....
1989 Fiat Uno Turbo - Wooooosh!
1989 Fiat Croma