Re: plugs and Euro cams

Ian Lomax has a slight miss at idle...
>currently running old Lodge plugs, and a perfectly
>good set of Denso plugs sitting in a drawer.
I'm hesitant to use them with Euro cams due
>to the increased lift of these cams vs. stock.
>Does anybody know if you can use a standard single-electrode plug with Euro cams in a 2L engine?

Hi Ian,
I'm not sure about Denso plugs but I've run NGK single electrode plugs in my Alfa twin-cam road cars which come standard with Euro 2000 cams and they're fine. My 2000 GTV road car with 12mm cams seemed OK with NGK plugs.

My 2.0 race car was running 11mm+ cams with standard valves and NGK B9EV plugs with no problems. Some plugs do project into the combustion chamber more than others but it's easy to compare them side-by-side...
Many people say that Alfa engines should only run the original equipment Lodge plugs but surely other plug manufacturers produce products that will do the job at least as well - especially having had quite a few years to perfect alternatives?
I know we're talking about whether the valves will foul the plug... all the guys who build heads with oversize valves must use some sort of plug. Unless your Denso plugs look like miniature versions of the Eiffel tower, I think you'll be alright Ian!

Jonathan Griffin
Super 2.0