hydrocarbon refrigerant, chapter two (Alfa)

Having successfully recharged the intact system in my buddy's Audi 80 with ES-12a, the next step was to put the aircon back in the GTV6 and see what could be made of that. Now my best friend always said he'd give me the AC hardware from his Milano since he had no interest in having it charged. Then his parents said he had to sell it, so he decided to leave it in the car. But fortunately for me, he sold it to my little brother, who likewise said I could have the AC hardware. So I was about to remove the compressor when my mom freaked out and said James (that's my brother) wasn't allowed to give me parts from his car (because he made some assinine deal with the parents wherein they pay for his insurance and he lets them borrow the car any time)! So after much arguing I convinced the parental units to buy me a Milano compressor from APE. I also thought I'd get a receiver dryer just to be safe since mine had been sitting on a shelf, open to the air, for a couple years. APE got the compressor to me within 4 days of ordering it, but they didn't get around to shipping the receiver dryer (and some other stuff I ordered) for another week and a half. So, I just "borrowed" the receiver dryer from my brother's Milano. So now I've got everything. But my condenser was pretty mashed from two accidents, so I spent a few hours straightening the fins and hoping it wouldn't leak. Then I installed everything in the car, and discovered that the Milano dryer has two pressure switches, while the GTV6 only has one. (I did this all last night before driving to Pittsburgh this morning at 7:00, so there was no one to call or email in the middle of the night for help.) Well, the switch with the red connector closed when I added one can of refrigerant with the engine off, so I hooked it up to the GTV6 harness. Flipping on the blower and turning the AC switch (something that I've never done in 3+ years and 20,000+ miles of GTV6 ownership) yielded a "click" from the AC clutch and a spinning fan, so I guess I got that right. So then, much to the displeasure of parents and neighbors, I'm sure, I pushed it into the driveway and fired it up at 1:30AM. Someone said that the system should take 32oz. of (R12) refrigerant and this ES-12a stuff says that one can is equivalent to 18oz of R12, and I had a 2oz. can of leak-sealing stuff. So by the time my shitty equipment and retrofit nipples from AutoZone leaked refrigerant everywhere (good thing this isn't R12...) I like to think that I got ~32oz actually in the system. Low side pressure was ~42psi, which I'm told would be correct for R134a, and the cabin vents were starting to exhale COLD air--a GTV6 first. What I'm curious about is the fact that the instructions for my hydrocarbon refrigerant say to "charge to your R12 low-side pressure, which the seemingly-knowledgable guy at NAPA said should be around 80psi! But 42 seemed to be working, and the Audi system worked at 45, so I left it there, if for no other reason than because I thought I had the right amount of refrigerant in there. I told my brother to put the tools away, and I took a shower with the Lava soap, and went to bed for 3 hours before setting off for Pittsburgh. To build the suspense, I didn't let myself turn the AC on until I got to the freeway (I couldn't believe I was acually setting of on a 300mi. cruise in the GTV6 and wishing for sunny weather). When I turned the blower on for fresh air, I was treated to the smell of refrigerant, and noticed some oil on the vent. Well, f***!! If there's one thing I don't feel like fixing, it's that heat exchanger buried in the dash! But the smell gradually went away and when I got on I-71 I crossed my fingers and turned that AC knob. Within seconds I was treated to ICE COLD AIR...and no additional smell. Damn, I thought, that leak-sealing goo must actually have worked! Like I said, it was overcast and not that hot, so only because I was driving a 116 coupe did I actualy have a need for AC. Even then, I had it on about a third of the time I was on the road, and I couldn't have been more comfortable. Imagine my surprise when I took off my sunglasses and the metal frames were cold to the touch! Of course, considering the fact that this car was full of rodent feces and nests when I bought it, and that I had no intention of installing AC when I cleaned out the HVAC box a couple years ago, I kept expecting to get wet. But no, not even on twisty mountain roads. Sweet. But then, when I turn into the alley behind where I live here at school, there's quite an exhaust-dragging bump, and a huge quantity of water gets dumped into the passenger footwell. Like a liter or more! So much that it splashed into the blower and I got a shower in the face! I don't know how that much water could have been hiding there and not dripped out before, but I guess I have some work to do on those drains. So I have yet to test it in real heat, but so far I couldn't be more pleased. To make a long story short, hydrocarbon refrigerants kick ass thus far.

Joe Elliott (in Pittsburgh for the weekend, then back to Oxford for a week before classes start, with a journey into Canada on the agenda.)
'82 GTV6 (let's hear it for Carl von Linde!)