Rover 75

I'm just back from doing my 18th Century sailing thing, and saw notes on the
digest about the Rover 75.

Why stop at the Rover 75 when there is now the MG version of the 75 called the
ZT which has hairier armpits (160 & 190 bhp FWD versions now and 325bhp V8 RWD
version due shortly...they shelved the 500bhp as a bit over the top). They
have tighter handling, remapped ECUs, sharper steering and bigger brakes than
the Rover version, and fake carbon fibre dashes, and lovely sports seating.
The latest I have heard is that they are now offering SOFTER springs on the MG
versions as a no cost option due to demand from older boardroom
backsides.(Stop Press: 1.8 Turbo Petrol and 2.5 Turbo Diesel versions of MG ZT
just launched to make the most of new tax legislation on company cars based on
CO2 emission ratings)

They have that lovely BMW Z axle at the back which really helps ride/handling,
and although quality is not perfect, it is better than might have been
expected and all in all its a hell of an impressive car.

Sales are good without breaking records. The main concern for many has been
the survival of the company, but those in central europe who have them are
well impressed. The finish is the best I have ever seen on a British mass
produced car.

It is as well to remember that this is a BMW designed 'British ' car, but BMW
would never allow MG versions during their ownership as they feared loss of
BMW sales. Oh what a trick they missed as I bet they are open mouthed at the
transformation from smooth sedan to rufty tufty executive sports vehicle. The
chief designer at Rover is Peter Stephens (Stevens??) who styled the last
Lotus Elan (Which I liked a lot as it happens)

Just in case I get too carried away.....It takes over an hour to change a
headlamp bulb on a 75/MG.....Sigh!

Please don't flame me for saying that there are parallels to be drawn between
the FIAT/Alfa situation and the Rover/MG scenario. They are both groups that
have survival issues, and yet maintain teams of people fiercely dedicated to
preserving their reputations for producing interesting and exciting cars,
against the trend of conformity that legislation and global marketing
strategies dictate.

I see from the press that the latest move at FIAT sees Alfa being moved into a
business unit with Ferrari as it is FIAT sales that seem to be in terminal
decline. The Stilo seems to have been a damp squib, perhaps unfairly, but its
a brutal market. The problem for Alfa in the UK is demand outstripping supply
of facelifted 156s which has seen actual 156 sales falling this year. It is as
well to remember also that 2001 saw the largest annual production of Alfas
ever at about 200,000.

Back to work Monday

Cheers

Tim Hancock

164TS
164 Super
Skoda Felicia..( a strut spring seat collapsed so its had 2 new struts after 6
years. Funnily enough these were a recall item on early 164s as my TS has the
sticker to say it had been done)